VR headsets aren't awesome yet.

CARDBOARD:
    So I have been playing around with a copy of google cardboard that my dad made, and my first thought were that it was amazing! very well done for being made out of a pizza box. But while I was loving it, my dad was a little on the fence. Because I had the nexus 5, the cardboard was made for my phone to fit perfectly and function with it. My dad has a note3 now this is an amazing phone screen its large and its the screen that they use in the Oculus Rift, so it must be a great screen. But with the cardboard it was cutting off the edges of his phone and making the experience sub-par. So he started to use Inkscape to change the printed cardboard files, but he ran into a large issue. His phone was to big. and the things he was changing meant that it would no longer fit on a normal piece of paper.

DIVE:
    After our epic fail on the cardboard we went to go see what else was out there, the dive project was an awesome 3D printed version of the cardobard/oculus its not based off of either one of them but it definitely reminded me on a cross bread of the two projects. But once again we had to modify the files to make them fit the note3, Luckily this time our printer was big enough for it! So I spent a few hour modeling up a modified version of the dive and came up with the "dive note 3" it got way more love on thingiverse then I thought it would, and now a few people have a replica of what I made for my dad. The dive has a issue with how to lenses work. they move out of place way to often, and they are very hard to keep in a straight line. Something else I added to this model was the margnet sports that the cardboard app for android uses.



OCULUS RIFT:
   Now I have only played with the oculus one time. But this is what I got from it. The oculus had very poor resolution on the dev kit 1, the dev kit 2 has the note 3 screen so it is said that that issue is gone. second. it was huge, and seams overly complicated. it has a ton of wires hanging from your face, and has special software you need to run that can be very tricky. They are supposed to make it easier once it is a live product, but still. The fact that this thing feels like a ski goggles from hell is no help for the oculus either.

MY TAKE:
     So in the last few days I had been messing around with the program OpenSCAD and its amazing. its like a scripting language for 3D modeling? I'm not even sure how to explain it. But after a few days I was on the phone with my dad while on a walk and we can up with a idea, 'what if we made a headset that could all be 3D printed in one piece and you can choose what the dimensions of your phone screen are.' So today I did just that. I made a model in openSCAD using variables to define almost everything. So you can open it, change the screen size and it will render out a VR headset that is ment for your phone and your face. The variables are...

phone_height = 69.17;
phone_width = 137.84;
vr_depth = 100;
lense_diamiter = 50;
lense_offset = 30;
face_cushion = 30;
nose_spot = 50;

clip_height = 15;

All of these things can be changed as you like. to make a headset that is built for your own head! Now this is all one piece and not yet 3D printable, but this is only a few hours in the making. So I plan to come up with a way so that it all slides together, and what materials to print with, I'm thinking the rounded face section will be made with Ninja flex to make it all soft, along with a strap that will go around your head. Right now I have sections for clips, but no clips yet, no strap, and the lenses would fall out. But this is an amazing start. I have testing the scalability and it all works. You can set the size of your phone screen in millimeters and it make you a basic VR headset for your phone.



WHATS NEXT:
     Well, next I need to finish this thing. First I am going to work on how to keep the lenses in place and then work on the clips. Once that is all done I will work on making it 'printable'. I think the final goal is to come up with a web interface that you can go set those variables and download your model as a .STL from there. So that anyone can easily go and make their own headset and print it without needing to go into any modeling.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

m31 finger magnet rejection

OpenSCAD Tips and Tricks

Bluetooth LE bone conduction implant.