Parametric VR headset

THE IDEA

So this idea came about not to long after my last blog post quite some time ago, the things it, I was not quite versed enough in Openscad to finish it up and make it something that I was happy enough with to share, But now I am a lot better with openscad and I now have finished a parametric VR headset in openscad, this means that you can open up the file and change how the headset works, you can specify how large your phone is, and what size of lenses you have, and with what I have done, your computer will make your a custom headset! You can also specify a few extra things, like if you want a headset, and what kind of head strap you already have laying around, this way you will be able to reuse old part, maybe from an old VR headset that you dont really like any more, and you can do the same thing with a magnet slider on the side, so that it will work with all of the google cardboard apps.

So really the idea is a VR headset for everyone.


WHAT YOU DO WITH IT

This headset is mean for use with all of the already existing google cardboard apps in the play store (and since the v2 of cardboard the app store as well) But this is a modular design so you can swap out new faces for different member of the family, or development team, Because really doing things like this only brings VR to people with a 3D printer, and most people who have 3D printer are nerdy, or at least like tech, so I could see this being used for a dev team who is looking to make a cardboard app and want to make sure that it will work with different kinds of phone and faces, and lens types.

So to answer what you do with it, you 3D print it and play with it.

WHAT WAS LEARNED

I learned quite a few things in the day I spent make this thing up, but mainly it was learning how to do statements in openscad, this project has a LOT of if statements, I did this for stuff like turning off some elements but keeping others on, and braking up the parts to make it printable, because you can just print this as one large brick of plastic, you need to set the "make_printable" variable to true, and render out one piece at a time (it is only 3 parts all broken up though). I also learned a bunch about how to lenses work! I had to figure out what exactly a focal length means in a mechanical part like this, because focal length in a camera you just get closer or more way until you are happy with the shot, with this you don't have that kind of movement, you have to make sure that it is right every time and the first time.

WHAT NEEDS TO BE DONE

I still really need to use the focal length veritable to determine the lens thickness, right now I have it as a "good enough" state, and I am using the focal length for only measure the depth from the lens center to the scree. I also really need to come up with a smart way of mounting the faceplate to the front of the headset so that you don't have to glue it or anything, maybe I will make a center plate that they both slide into? I am not sure, but as it stands, its a half way modular design.

TIPS AND DOWNLOAD

Tip 1) print the face plate in a flexible material, if you don't you wont to able to pop the lenses in and it will suck to have tight on your face.

Tip 2) make sure you set the parameters for things you already have laying around, like fridge magnets, and maybe some skiing goggle you have laying around.

Download) I have it hosted on my github so that when you download you always have the newest version

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

m31 finger magnet rejection

OpenSCAD Tips and Tricks

Bluetooth LE bone conduction implant.