Stronger Joints

So the Dollo has been moving along slowly do to me trying to get back into school and a divorce and all kinds of stuff. But lately I have been trying to get back into it and instead of tackling the large issue of the Z axis moving smooth (does move just not perfectly smooth). I thought I would go for the issue of making things a little easier to print and stronger in the joints. This lead me to a joint that I have used before in wood working, kind of. I still have the 4 45deg bow ties that hold everything pretty solid, but I added an additional sliding dovetail. I replaced the 6-8 individual bow tie slots across the entire machine and did this instead, its kind of like extruded aluminum, but not. I can now print the corners with no support and the extensions are much stronger. So I now have 8 points of contact from section to section on the joints of the printer. Four joints that hold the parts butt ends together and 4 that prevent any kind flexing that was happening. This new design also make its so our motor mounts move more freely across the bottom of the racks that they sit on. and it flexes back any kind of warping that might have happened in the rack section prints, and it looks much nicer, way less like a crazy machine and more like a viable printer. Even though a crazy machine is cool, it might not be the most sensible to everyone. And now pictures!







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

m31 finger magnet rejection

OpenSCAD Tips and Tricks

Bluetooth LE bone conduction implant.